P.O. Box 935
Hayden, ID 83835-935
Coeur d’Alene Youth Orchestra
Michael Harrison, PO Conductor
Shad Frazier, IO Conductor
Kristina Phillips, DO Conductor
Table of Contents
Offset Tuition Options
Commitment & Conduct
Music & Folders
School Music Program Policy
Stay Informed e-Newsletter, Website & More
Parent & Student Commitment form
North Idaho Youth Symphonies
Orchestra Handbook for the 2017-2018 Season
The North Idaho Youth Symphonies (NIYS) operates as a non-profit organization governed by a volunteer Board of Directors. Comments, questions, or concerns may be brought to the Board by contacting Sarah Halsted, by email at email@example.com, or by telephone at 253-380-9025. Board meetings are usually the first Monday of each month (except holidays) at 5:00 pm, in the band room and the first 45 minutes of each meeting is open for all to attend. We value your opinions!
North Idaho Youth Symphonies Board of Directors
Sarah Halsted, President
Rana Reason, Vice President
Carrie Reese, Secretary
Stephanie Reynolds, Treasurer
Teresa Janzen, PSO Manager
Open Position, ISO Manager
Open Position, DSO Manager
If you are interested in joining the Board, please contact a current Board Member. For a listing of Board Member requirements, please visit our website.
NIYS is funded by student tuition, grants, individual donations, concert attendance donations and fundraising events. Our expenses include staff, music purchases, rental fees, printing costs, sectional leaders, and general organizational expenses. Tuition also covers a student tee shirt, window decal, instrument tag, and snacks. Our goal is to be good stewards of our finances while providing an enriching educational opportunity for our members.
Tuition for the 2017-2018 year is:
$375 per student for the Philharmonic Symphony Orchestra
$325 per student for the Intermezzo Symphony Orchestra
$175 per student for the Debut String Orchestra
Sibling discount: A tuition discount of 30% applies to each additional family member enrolled in an equal or younger ensemble.
A deposit of $50 per student is due upon registration, or by the first rehearsal. Your musician is not registered without the $50 deposit. The remainder of the tuition is due by Monday, November 13, 2017. (Students registering after January 1st pay a $50 deposit and the remainder of the pro-rated balance due within 30 days of joining the Orchestra.)
1) Pay tuition in full, which includes the registration deposit, between September 11th and October 9th, 2017.
- This qualifies you for a 10% discount on your remaining balance, after the $50 registration fee has been paid.
2) Alternatively, after the initial $50 registration deposit, you may choose to make two payments toward the balance due after the $50 registration fee:
- This qualifies you for a 5% discount on your balance divided into 2 equal payments
- Due dates for payments are on or before October 9th and January 8th
- Payments not received on these dates will lose the 5% discount privilege and the student will be charged the regular fee.
3) Request to split the balance owed after the $50 registration fee into five equal monthly payments
- Payments are due the second Monday, October through February.
- A request for the payment option, along with first installment, must be submitted to Stephanie Reynolds, Treasurer, at P.O. Box 935, Hayden, Idaho, by October 9th, 2017. The form may be found at our website at the bottom of the tuition page.
You may choose to pay by cash, card, or check payable to NIYS. Online payments using your checking account, debit/credit card through Paypal are available. PLEASE PRINT YOUR RECEIPT and attach to your student’s registration packet! Payments may be made in person or by mail, and receipts will be given to your student at practice.
All tuition must be current or payment arrangements must be made with the NIYS Treasurer by November 13, 2017. When tuition becomes delinquent, a reminder will be sent. If delinquency continues, you will be contacted by phone and asked to make immediate payment arrangements to bring the account current. If the account is not brought current within two weeks your child will no longer be allowed to play with the NIYS All accounts must be current per your plan before students will be allowed to perform at a concert, tour with the NIYS, or continue on to a new season.
The NIYS strives to provide financial assistance to students in need so they may profit from the orchestral music experience. We believe that no deserving young musician should be denied participation in the NIYS because of financial inability to meet the tuition requirements. Application forms for tuition assistance must be completed and submitted by October 9th, 2017. Your $50 deposit is due at registration, regardless of your application for assistance. For those entering the orchestra at a later date, applications must be submitted within 30 days of entry. Applications may be mailed to Stephanie Reynolds, NIYS Treasurer, PO Box 935, Hayden, ID 83835. The Tuition Assistance Committee will promptly consider all applications and respond in writing with their decision. Tuition assistance presumes the student and family will be willing to volunteer time to offset tuition fees, as well as pursue all fundraising opportunities. The Tuition Assistance Committee will work with individual families on appropriate plans.
The cornerstone of the NIYS is our parent volunteer program. Each family is required to participate in our volunteer network. We will match the volunteer opportunity with your interests to the best of our ability. Volunteer help is needed in the following areas:
Fundraising Events, Program Advertising, Telephone Tree Caller, Corporate support, Rehearsal Assistants, Concerts, Poster distribution, Audition Monitors, Art on the Green, Photo Night Assistants, Alumni Association, Chaperones
For more information on volunteer opportunities contact the board at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Membership in the NIYS is an honor and a privilege. The young musicians chosen by audition to play in these groups are expected to make membership a first priority among their many activities. Instrumentation and balance are established at the time of audition and must be maintained. If the orchestra is to provide the highest possible level of performance, preparation of the music and attendance at all rehearsals and concerts for the entire season is of utmost importance.
All members will adhere to the following Code of Conduct:
- Attendance is required at all regular and sectional rehearsals. Students should arrive 15 minutes before rehearsal to tune and be ready to play.
- If there is an unavoidable reason for absence, please inform your orchestra’s manager and/or conductor by phone, email or text prior to rehearsal!
- A maximum of two absences are allowed per trimester (3 concerts and 3 preparatory trimesters), however students may lose the privilege of playing in a concert if absent in the two weeks prior to a concert!
- Bring all music and a pencil to every rehearsal.
- Return music promptly to the Conductor or Orchestra Manager when asked to do so. If a student must leave the Orchestra, all music must be returned within 3 business days of leaving or a penalty of $20 per piece PLUS the cost of the music will be assessed. If music is lost or damaged, student will be charged the cost of replacement.
- If you borrow anything, return it please.
- Your complete attention is required at all times.
- All students must respect the property and personnel at our rehearsal and concert locations
- We strictly prohibit the use of alcohol, tobacco and drugs. Any student in violation will be immediately removed from the orchestra.
- In matters of seating, the Conductor’s decision is final.
- Be respectful at all times of orchestra members, staff, conductors, and guests.
If you have not previously notified the conductor or orchestra manager and will be missing rehearsal, please call or e-mail the orchestra manager or your conductor for your ensemble at least two hours prior to the start of the rehearsal:
- The Orchestra Manger for the Philharmonic Symphony Orchestra (PSO) is Teresa Janzen. You may contact her by email at: email@example.com , or by phone at 208-818-2831.
- The Orchestra Manger for the Intermezzo Symphony Orchestra (ISO) is TBD.
- The Orchestra Manager for the Debut String Orchestra (DSO) is TBD
Rehearsals begin Monday, September 25th, 2017. Unless otherwise announced, all rehearsals will take place on Monday evenings during the school year at Lakes Magnet Middle School, 930 N. 15th St., Coeur d’Alene. All musicians must be picked up at the conclusion of their rehearsal. All NIYS musicians and parents must be off rehearsal property 30 minutes after the end of rehearsal.
Musicians will be allowed two (2) absences in the fall trimester, two (2) absences in the winter trimester, and two (2) absences in the spring trimester. These may be for any reason whatsoever (ski trips, spring break, family wedding, etc.). However, remember, the above absences only in each semester will be allowed so use them wisely. A musician with excessive absences will be subject to re-audition, reassignment, dismissal without refund, or placed in the last chair at the Conductor’s discretion. A calendar of rehearsals and performances will be distributed at the first rehearsal of each semester. Attendance at dress rehearsals, fundraisers and concerts is mandatory. The musician or a parent must inform the Orchestra Manager or Conductor at least one (1) week in advance when a rehearsal will be missed. (Sudden illness or a death in the family are exceptions.) When the musician is expected but not present at rehearsal, the Orchestra Manager will phone his/her home from the rehearsal event. Under extenuating circumstances (other music related events, extended illnesses, etc.) absence issues or other concerns may be brought to the Conductor for a case-by-case review.
Musicians in the orchestras are expected to participate in all concerts and events. Parents are responsible for transporting students to and from concerts. There is a final dress rehearsal before each concert. *ALL members are required to stay and watch the other orchestra’s performance at concerts. Part of developing into a great musician is learning how to be an enthusiastic appreciator of other ensembles.
***Please remember that attendance is mandatory. ***
Fall Concert – November 29, 2017, 7-9 PM
Family Concerts with the Cd’A Symphony – January 19 & 20, 2018
Fundraising Event/Concert – Early March, TBD
Spring Concert – First week in May TBD, 2018, 7-9 PM
Debut String Orchestra:
- Ladies: Black blouse, black slacks or skirt with black hose/tights, black shoes
- Gentlemen: Black button down shirt, black slacks, black socks, black shoes
Intermezzo Symphony Orchestra:
- Ladies: Long-sleeved white blouse, black over-the-knee length skirt or dress slacks, neutral or black stockings and black dress shoes and subdued accessories.
- Gentlemen: Long-sleeved white shirt, black bow tie, black dress pants, black belt OR cummerbund, black socks and black dress shoes.
Philharmonic Symphony Orchestra:
- Ladies: Long-sleeved black dress or black over-the-knee length skirt or dress slacks, neutral or black stockings and black dress shoes and subdued accessories.
- Gentlemen: Tuxedo (OR black dress pants and black coat), white dress shirt, black bow tie, black cummerbund, black socks and black dress shoes.
- No black jeans, pants with cargo pockets, casual shoes (boots, tennis shoes, Birkenstocks, flip flops, etc.), low-cut blouses, belly shirts, high slits in skirts or vests.
Do you have questions on whether specific articles of clothing are appropriate? Address all questions to your orchestra manager or conductor at least a week prior to the concert! If you arrive for a concert dressed inappropriately, you will NOT be allowed to play.
Every season NIYS issues each musician a numbered music folder. This folder remains the property of the NIYS and must be returned following the last concert of the season. Failure to return music and folder on time may affect orchestra placement next season and a fee will be charged to your account. Musicians are responsible for their music folders and all music given to them throughout the season. The following fees will be incurred for loss or damage:
$10 fee per item if an original piece is lost, damaged or handed in late, PLUS replacement cost of piece
$20 fee for loss or damage to music folder
These fees will also be incurred if the folder is not given back to the NIYS within five (5) business days following the last concert.
The NIYS expects all its members to participate in their school music program, in some capacity, and strongly encourages youth to study privately. There is a petition process through the Board and Conductors. Please contact your student’s Orchestra Manager for a form. The petition process includes documentation of all avenues of recourse that have been pursued to facilitate participation in the student’s school music program. This documentation is required prior to a waiver being approved. The NIYS Board and conductor’s decision is final.
The NIYS believes its success depends on families remaining committed to the musical education of their children. We recognize and value the vital role played by music educators, both private and public, in the training of our musicians. NIYS Orchestras, school music programs and private teachers share the common goal of training the next generation of musicians, audience members and arts supporters.
All information is available through our website, www.cdayo.org.
Verbal announcements are made in each group during rehearsals. The weekly announcements will also be available on the website.
Orchestra managers will use e-mail to communicate information to parents and musicians in their groups. Please make sure we have your current e-mail address and keep us informed of any changes.
Parent & Student Commitment
My child and I have read and understand the policies and guidelines as explained in the Coeur d’Alene Youth Orchestra 2017-2018 Musician Handbook.
Student Name, please print
Parent(s) Name(s), please print
***Please return a signed print out of the Commitment Form to your child’s orchestra director or manager by Monday, November 2, 2017***
North Idaho Youth Symphonies
P.O. Box 935
Hayden, ID 83835